The biggest wildfire raging since the last two weeks in Southern California has been contained by 50 per cent, authorities said.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) on Monday said firefighters managed to reduce the blaze named Thomas by 50 per cent and will take advantage of better conditions in the next two days to do more, reports Xinhua news agency.
Meteorologists have forecast weaker winds, cooler temperatures and the rise of humidity through Tuesday.
The overpowering Thomas fire has already claimed two lives, and caused more than 104,000 to flee their homes while destroying 1,313 structures.
More than 8,500 firefighters battled at the frontlines, racking up a cost of roughly $124 million, according to Cal Fire.
For the past 14 days, the fire has scorched 271,000 acres, becoming California’s third largest wildfire on record since 1932.
Only two fires have burned more acreage in California so far — Cedar Fire in 2003 and Rush Fire in 2012 that burned 273,246 and 271,911 acres.