Home > India > No discrimination against any state in allocation of funds for construction of rural roads assures NS Tomar

No discrimination against any state in allocation of funds for construction of rural roads assures NS Tomar

Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar assures no discrimination against any state in allocation of funds for construction of rural roads under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). Till date, 65 percent of the rural habitations have been connected with all-weather roads and remaining 35 percent will be completed by March, 2019.

Tomar informed that out of 1, 83,599 habitations, 151,098 had already been sanctioned which is 82 percent of the total for rural road connectivity.

The Minister pointed out that the budgetary provision for the PMGSY was around Rs 9,000 crore in 2012-13, has been enhanced to Rs 19,000 crore in 2015-16. “After the 14th Finance Commission, the States are now getting 42 percent funds, while earlier they used to get only 32 percent. So, there is no dearth of funds for this project,” said Tomar. “From 2011 to 2014, 73 kilometers road was built per day, while at present 100 kilometers of roads is being built each day and the target of the Ministry is to take it to 133 kilometers in near future,” he further added.

In the second Phase of PMGSY up gradation 50,000 kilometers road will be built at a cost of Rs 33,000 crore. Gujarat, Punjab and Haryana will complete the second phase by March next year. Referring to the use of “Green Technologies” and non-conventional materials for construction of PMGSY roads like waste plastic, cold mix, cell filled concrete, geo-textiles etc. more than 2500 kilometers have been constructed.

“The government has recently announced the formation of District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee (DDCMC) called “Disha” for effective development coordination and monitoring of 28 Central Schemes,” he pointed.