Home > India > Operation Ginger: 2011 surgical strike by Indian Army on Pakistan, also one of the deadliest ever

Operation Ginger: 2011 surgical strike by Indian Army on Pakistan, also one of the deadliest ever

After the recent surgical strikes by Indian Army across LoC, new evidence has come to light, which points out that in the year 2011, in one of the worst cross-border surgical strikes, which India and Pakistan got engaged in, lead to the death of 13 soldiers out of which six were beheaded.

As per report, published in The Hindu newspaper, India took three heads while Pakistanis took two as trophies. The Hindu accessed some files regarding these strikes, and have released the official documents. Major General (retired) S K Chakraborty confirmed the raid, as he was the chief of Kupwara-based 28 Division and had planned the operation.

Indian Army had carried out surgical strikes across the LoC in 2011, as a means of retaliation to a surprise attack on an army post in Gugaldhar ridge in Kupwara in July 2011 that killed six soldiers. Major Gen. Chakravorty told ANI, “Yes such an operation did happen across the LoC on August 30,2011. All details which have come out are true.” He said that this was an avenge operation and the Indian Army went across the border to strike. He also added that the then DGMO and the then Army Chief VK Singh was informed about it. Meanwhile, during the attack, Havildar Jaipal Singh Adhikari and Lance Naik Devender Singh of 20 Kumaon were beheaded and their heads were taken back.

It was just a day before the Muslim holy festival of Eid, and the troops did not expect a retaliation. The Indian Army soldiers left on 3.00 am on August 29, 2011, and waited until 10.00 pm. They placed claymore mines to ambush Pakistani soldiers. They detonated the mines after four Pakistani soldiers, led by a Junior Commissioned Officer reached the ambush site. Then they lobbed grenades and fired at them. The soldiers also kept an IED under one of the bodies.

The Indian Army chopped the heads of three dead soldiers and one of them fell in the river. They took their rank insignias, weapons and other personal items as a prize. In the meantime, due to the sounds of the explosions, another two Pakistani teams rushed to the spot but were destroyed by a second Indian team who were waiting nearby. Three Pakistani heads — of Subedar Parvez, Havildar Aftab and Naik Imran — three AK 47 rifles and other weapons were taken back by the soldiers. The entire mission lasted for 45 minutes and Indian army men left at 7.45 am.

Senior officers had reportedly ordered to photograph the severed heads and then bury them. According to a source quoted by The Hindu, one of the senior most Generals in the command turned up and asked the team about the heads. “When he came to know that we had buried them, he was furious and asked us to dig up the heads, burn them and throw the ashes into the Kishenganga, so that no DNA traces are left behind. We did so,” he was quoted as saying.

You may also like
Blame-game begins between Congress and BJP ahead of Karnataka Assembly polls
Congress leading in Meghalaya while BJP fighting tough with the left in Tripura
No quota cap mentioned in Constitution: Hardik Patel
Congress releases first list of 77 candidates for Gujarat polls, Patidaars did ruckus